The Staff Accountant is responsible for the coordination and execution of account reconciliations, budget compilation, and back-up to the accounts payable function.*The ideal candidate is an eager entry-level recent graduate or finance professional with one to two years of experience.*
- Performs general ledger account reconciliations and analytics to support financial reporting and control environment. Demonstrates an understanding of the business functions and transactions that drive general ledger account balances, as well as identifying, documenting, and clearing reconciling items on a timely basis.
- Supports the preparation of internal and external reports, including financial statements, regulatory, budget, audit, and ad-hoc reports as needed.
- Assists with the preparation and compiling of business unit budgets and forecasts. Coordinates revisions and documents explanations with business owners. Expected to evaluate reasonableness of submissions and provide monthly analysis.
- Supports the finance team in conducting business performance analytics. Works with Controller in continual improvement of relevant analysis and identifies improvements to programs and business units
- Maintains appropriate sections of the Finance department policy manual. Maintenance includes identification and documentation of new policies and procedures and review of old policies for accuracy.
- Supports the accounts payable function as a back-up. Ensures that invoices are properly approved, paid in a timely manner and expenses are properly classified.
- Works with the Controller to ensure sound accounting practices and adequate internal controls to protect the Credit Union's assets are in place.
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Requirements:
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and no sponsorship required for employment.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- One to two years of related experience preferred.
Clear and proactive communicator through verbal and written interactions.
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational, and analytical skills.
- Strong decision making and time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects/duties.
- Trustworthy with the ability to maintain highest level of integrity and trust.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Environmental / Physical / Mental Requirements:
The Staff Accountant performs a major portion of his/her duties through verbal and written communications. It is critical that he / she possess the ability to communicate with clarity, while understanding and explaining complex situations to team members and outside contacts. Accuracy is essential and he / she must possess the ability to proof read documentation and correspondence to insure free of errors and fraud. The person will spend a good portion of the day seated at a workstation, but may also be mobile throughout the credit union for purposes of meetings, working with others, etc.
Bachelors or better in Accounting.
Entry-level; 0-2 years of experience