Senior Staff Accountant
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare entries to accounts, such as general ledger accounts, documenting business transactions.
- Distributes expenditures, encumbrances, receipts, and receivables according to schedules.
- Performs statistical analyses to determine trends, estimates, and significant changes, and writes narrative reports explaining findings.
- Cash Management, performs detailed reconciliation for both cash accounts and intercompany loan accounts to ensure that both sides of each area balance on the accounting system.
- Determines cash needs for Single Business Units (SBU’s) and for the company as a whole.
- Performs bank reconciliations and set up ACH for expenditures.
- Create and maintain project accounts in accounting system to include project related records, contracts and change orders.
- Investigate project variances and submit variance reports to management.
- Create all project related billings to customers and report all non-billable items to management.
- Respond to questions for detail from customers.
- Close out projects upon completion.
- Communicate routinely with Project Managers on a variety of job related topics including bonding, insurance and contract agreements.
- Understands and can produce Work in Progress Schedule and accompanying journal entries when required.
- Work with project management staff ensuring proper compliance with accounting procedures including reviewing and analyzing job cost estimates and reports monthly.
- Prepare special reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information and trends
- Analyzes financial information detailing assets, liabilities, and capital, and prepares balance sheet, profit and loss statement, and other reports to summarize and interpret current and projected company financial position for other managers.
- Audits contracts, orders, and vouchers, and prepares reports to substantiate individual transactions prior to settlement.
- Determines proper handling of financial transactions and approves transactions within designated limits.
- Monitors compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and company procedures.
- Reviews, investigates, and corrects errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents,
- Installs, modifies, documents, and coordinates implementation of accounting systems and
accounting control procedures.
- Devises and implements system for general accounting.
- Designs and maintains proformas for current and proposed contracts to determine pricing and profitability.
- Makes recommendations regarding the accounting of reserves, assets, and expenditures.
- Conducts studies and submits recommendations for improving the organization's accounting operation.
- Collects appropriate data and prepares federal, state, and local reports and tax returns.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelors degree in Accounting is preferred.
At least 10 years accounting experience
Experience with both STAT and GAAP accounting is preferred
LOMA or other insurance industry designation is a plus