We are currently seeking a full time General Accountant to work in the Rocky Hill area. This person will report directly to the Manager of Accounting and Financial Reporting.
The General Accountant has an important role in ensuring the timely progress of accounting workflow through the preparation and submission of journal entries and audit reports to the Senior Financial Accountant for review in conformance with applicable standards and the established month end, quarter end and year-end closing schedules and processes.
- Prepare and sign monthly, quarterly and year- end journal entries such as cash entries, due to/from entries, payroll entries, void check entries, deferred revenue entries, accrual entries, reclassification entries, prepaid entries, use of reserve entries, fuel inventory adjustments, invested in capital assets entries and other entries as needed.
- Prepare monthly fixed asset review packages and entries for certain projects by reviewing general ledger.
- Prepare and sign reconciliation of accounts for month-end, quarter- end and year- end closings such as Authority's checking account, clearing accounts,STIF accounts, 941 payroll reconciliation, due to/from accounts, accounts receivable accounts, misc. receivable accounts, prepaid accounts, customer deposit accounts, deferred revenue accounts, accounts payable, use of reserve, working trial balance, fuel inventory and invested in capital asset accounts.
- Perform monthly revenue audit by selecting samples from general ledger and tracing the samples to source documents and payments. Reconcile and document differences. Prepare and sign a report of the sampling detail, findings and reconciliation.
- Perform monthly onsite audit of Contractor expenses by reviewing and selecting samples from Contractor's general ledger.
- Perform monthly paid vendor audit by selecting samples from payment register and tracing the samples to source documents. Reconcile and document differences. Prepare and sign a report of the sampling detail, findings and reconciliation.
- Record keeping: Audit of journal entries on a quarterly basis.
- Assist Manager of Accounting and Financial Reporting and Senior Financial Accountant in preparation of Notes to Financial Statements and Comprehensive Annual Financial Report as needed.
- Perform the bi-annual fixed assets physical inventory for each of the Authority's projects as per directions from the Senior Financial Accountant and the Manager of Accounting and Financial Reporting.
- Assist in compiling information for annual independent audit, State compliance audits and other audits. Examples include: General ledger and working trial balance reports for revenue and expenses, prepayments, bank statements, reconciliations, fuel inventory reports, and journal entries for audit sampling.
- Voucher invoices and process check run.
- Good knowledge of accounting principles and practices
- Good knowledge of government accounting, auditing, and reporting requirements
- Excellent knowledge of personal computers and spreadsheet applications
- Ability to carry out department objectives with limited supervision
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with manager and other employees
- Ability to work long hours during year-end closing
- Strong organization, interpersonal skills and attention to detail required
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
Bachelor's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university.