Data Governance Specialist, Miami, Florida
The Data Governance Specialist is a key member of the Enterprise Data Management organization and plays an important role in the Bank's data governance program and related policies, processes and reporting. The Data Governance Specialist supports the execution of the Bank's data governance programs (policy, standards and controls); promoting the adoption of ongoing data governance and data quality routines with key business partners; and ensuring that data provisioning practices are sufficiently controlled, tested and documented (including mapping, lineage and reconciliation) to support rigorous examination.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Establish and manage ongoing data governance activities for the Enterprise
- Roll out an enterprise wide data governance framework, with a focus on improvement of data quality and the protection of sensitive data through modifications to organization behavior policies and standards, principles, governance metrics, processes, related tools and data architecture
- Define roles and responsibilities related to data governance and ensure clear accountability for stewardship of the company's principal information assets
- Define indicators of performance and quality metrics and ensure compliance with data related policies, standards, roles and responsibilities, and adoption requirements
- Authoring an Enterprise Data Governance Policy to enable compliance with regulator expectation and to improve management decision making.
- Lead efforts to identify and prioritize enterprise and critical data elements in scope for the data governance program.
- Work with cross-functional information security SMEs, business SMEs and IT partners to classify critical data elements as per the security and privacy requirements.
- Design and deliver management reporting focusing on data key performance indicators and early warning indicators. Ongoing evaluation and reporting of data governance policy adherence and controls.
- Partner with data stewards and owners to implement, enhance, and manage data governance dashboard capability and metrics reporting to track progress.
- Support data profiling results reviews, data lineage reviews, technical data mapping reviews and identification of data stewards and owners across domains in scope for data governance program.
- Take responsibility for understanding data from the enterprise perspective and managing it in such a way that it can be understood and leveraged across the organization. Performs analysis and collaborates with business lines to help deliver clear guidance on policy
- Work directly with the Business Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to identify existing and/or document new processes and controls that support Data Governance policies and procedures; ensure results are communicated and implemented.
- Provide support to data stewards in fulfilling Data Governance initiatives across the enterprise.
- Monitor leading practices, emerging trends, tools, and methodologies specific to Data Governance, and related data capabilities and regulatory views.
- Prepare materials for the Data Governance Council meetings and provide support by documenting minutes and action items, responding to assigned tasks when due and supporting data management effort.
- Evaluating existing processes, controls, data flows, documentation, procedures, data lineage, and governing routines to identify gaps and/or data issues. Escalate data issues to the Data Governance Council when needed.
- Operationalizing Privacy and Security policies for 'data at rest' and 'data in motion', including but not limited to: Encryption, Psuedonymization & anonymization.
- Identify, evaluate, monitor and make any recommendation deemed necessary to the Risk Management Committee in order to assess, reduce, eliminate, or control any current or prospective risks to earnings or capital arising from violations of, or nonconformance with, laws, rules regulations, prescribed practices, internal policies and procedures or ethical standards
- Ensure preventive measures are carried out to fully comply with current rules, regulations and internal policies relating to risks pertaining to BSA, USA Patriot Act, OFAC and other AML related issues.
- Perform special projects as assigned.
Functional Skills & Knowledge:
Must be a team player, have the ability to work under pressure, have a professional image and be able to resolve problems and conflicts. Must be able to prioritize work and effectively manage time and have the ability to manage change. Must possess basic business communications skills such as advanced writing, listening and have basic office and mathematics skills, and customer service skills. Possession of professional skills such as report writing, basic statistics, effective presentation skills, creative skills, ethics management and conducting effective meetings and research assessment are required. Must possess sales and negotiation skills. Excellent organizational and project management skills. Must be able to identify, assess and report risks arising from violations of rules, regulations or internal policies.
Minimum Education and /or Certifications:
A bachelor's or master's degree in computer science, data science, information science or related field, or equivalent work experience.
Minimum Work Experience Requirements:
Minimum four years of experience in data governance / Stewardship / information related work or similar position plus five years of banking experience.
Technical and/or Essential Knowledge:
- Knowledge of industry leading data governance and data protection management practices.
Knowledge of data related government regulatory requirements and emerging trends and issues.
- Experience with SQL, SAS a plus.
- Knowledge of DAMA, GLBA, ISO 8000 a plus.
- Knowledge of data warehousing concepts.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Visio and Power Point.
Physical Demands: Air conditioned office environment requiring the use of computers 75% of the time. The remaining 25% of the time is involved in making presentations and reporting requirements.
Stressors: Occasional long work hours and deadlines in addition to volume of work.