This position works closely with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and is responsible for assisting the CFO in ensuring that the Bank's Accounting Department runs smoothly and that the accounting and finance related reporting and activities are met within the strict daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly deadlines and in compliance with applicable Bank policies and regulations. This position is characterized by a high degree of working knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and utilizing that knowledge in the daily processing, monitoring and control of the Bank's accounting and finance related activities, being detailed-oriented, having a positive attitude, excellent communication and organization skills, and a strong knowledge of Microsoft Office suite including Outlook, Word and Excel.
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsible for directing the Bank's accounting functions which include establishing and maintaining the Bank's accounting principles, practices, procedures, and initiatives. Under general supervision and following established policies and procedures, the Controller is responsible for managing all accounting activities including financial and regulatory reporting, general ledger, investment, human resources, interest rate risk, liquidity, mortgage accounting, and Federal and State tax.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reviews and reconciles various data and accounts contained in the Bank's general ledgers and various other financial reports to ensure accuracy and reasonableness of recorded financial transactions and that the transactions booked meet Bank's policies/procedures, regulatory requirements and IRS guidelines.
- Manages the month-end, quarter-end and year-end closes.
- Acts as the liaison between the accounting department and other departments to resolve problems and/or responds to inquiries regarding general ledger and/or accounting related questions.
- Oversees and reviews work and provide support and direction to the accounting staff.
- Prepares the Bank's monthly financial statement packages and other financial related reports for Board of Directors.
- Manages and processes daily liquidity activity.
- Calculates Federal income tax and State taxes for month-end close, book the general ledger entries and maintain the deferred tax asset inventory.
- Manages and prepares the investment entries, maintenance and reconciliation of the Bank's investment portfolio between the general ledger and investment statement.
- Coordinates the preparation and filing of the quarterly tax payment estimates and annual tax returns.
- Manages accounts payable process which includes overseeing the weekly check run process, verifying that transactions comply with financial policies and procedures, overseeing the issuance of appropriate year end documentation and documenting procedures as required.
- Prepares the interest rate risk reporting, including assumption updates and review of reports.
- Oversees the preparation and filing of the Bank's quarterly call reports, which includes preparing reports and processes and providing direction for accounting staff to assist with preparing assigned schedules.
- Manages and processes the relationship profitability system setup, updates and reporting.
- Oversees the accounting and documentation for mortgage related items, which includes preparing reports and processes and providing direction for accounting staff to assist with necessary entries.
- Prepares financial related investor relations reports and documents.
- Assists CFO in the preparation of the Bank's budget.
- Assists CFO in preparing the Bank's annual report and proxy statement.
- Responds to inquiries from the Bank's management team, outside auditors and regulators regarding data contained in financial/accounting/treasury related reports and statements.
- Coordinates and prepares documentation for finance, accounting, treasury related audits.
- Acts as the primary contact and responsible for the day-to-day operations for items related to Call Report, human resources, ASC 310/accounting guidance, investment, loans/TDR/ALLL/Unfunded Reserve, and relationship profitability system, audits, financial and ALCO reporting, general ledger, interest rate risk, liquidity, mortgage and Federal and State taxes.
- Assists with Accounting department projects as needed.
- Perform related duties as assigned or as the situation dictates.
1. Strong understanding of accounting concepts (GAAP) and control requirements, especially for transactions of financial institutions.
2. High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
3. Experience working with general ledger, human resources/payroll, fixed asset and investment accounting systems.
4. Some experience with corporate income tax accounting and tax form preparation and filing.
5. Excellent verbal and written skills in order to communicate effectively and tactfully at all levels of Bank staff, as well as with outside auditors and regulators.
6. Strong knowledge of Excel and general knowledge of Microsoft Office programs such as Outlook and Word.
7. Ability to organize and prioritize in situations where dramatic changes frequently occur to meet set deadlines.
8. Ability to learn quickly and apply concepts to different related areas of work.
9. Ability to recognize and analyze problems, and develop solutions.
10. Ability to work well in a team-oriented environment and willingness to assist where necessary to meet goals of the Accounting Department and the Bank.
1. Comply with all requirements, policies and procedures of the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) and attend all mandatory BSA training as needed for this position. Additionally, required to complete all required compliance and regulatory training, not limited to BSA.
2. Technical knowledge as acquired through bachelor's degree in accounting or other related financial field. Professional certification preferred but not required.
3. Minimum of five years of banking accounting experience.