A Leader in the Field of Photonics Founded in 1969 by Robert Johnson D. Sc., President and Technical Director, Omega Optical Incorporated, located in Brattleboro, Vermont is a leader in photonics, exploring new areas with fresh ideas, an eager team, and the latest technology to produce the best in optical Interference filters. Our products encompass many markets and applications including;
Medical Diagnostics, Point-of-Care Instrumentation, Hematology, Macular Degeneration, Real-Time Patient Monitoring, Industrial, Environmental Monitoring, Machine Vision Systems, Spectroscopy, Lasers, Color Correction, Source Leveling Defense, Aerospace and Astronomy: Infra-Red Vision Systems, Targeting systems, LIDAR, Conflict/Weapon Simulators, Outer Space Based Instrumentation, Ground-Based Telescope Systems, and many more.
The ideal candidate should be willing to relocate or reside within commuting distance. The candidate will be responsible for effectively and efficiently performing the finance operations for Omega Optical Incorporated. This position ensures legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting and financial reporting functions. The Chief Financial Officer will model accuracy and clarity in corporate reporting. He/She is responsible for all general accounting functions including but not limited to accounts receivable/collection, payroll, inter-company transactions, auditing, taxes, and risk management. Reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer and has additional reporting responsibilities to the President and Founder. Responsible for evaluating departmental staffing needs.
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring and enforcing policies and procedures. Refines policies where necessary to reflect desired clarity.
- Evaluates controls and makes recommendations where necessary.
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Provides status of financial condition of the company by collecting, interpreting and reporting key financial data in timely manner.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state and local legal requirements by researching existing and new legislation, consulting with outside advisers, and filing financial reports. Advises management of actions and potential risks.
- Arranges for audits as required and appropriate.
- Drives the development of a comprehensive budget.
- Manages budget and provides feedback to control expenses effectively.
- Keeps up-to-date on information and technology affecting financial area(s) to increase innovation and ensure compliance.
- Establishes, or recommends to management, major corporate economic strategies, objectives, and policies for company.
- Recommends modifications to existing corporate programs.
- Work as part of a collaborative team and make recommendations for the implementation of an integrated accounting and MRP/ERP system.
- Prepares reports which summarize and forecast company business activity and financial position in areas of income, expenses, and cashflow based on past, present, and expected operations.
- Works with the Production and Engineering to establish and achieve visibility (in Omega Live) of standard costs of various Omega products.
- Develops appropriate safeguards and reviews as necessary to assure company compliance with applicable government regulations.
- Advises management about insurance coverage for protection against property losses and potential liabilities.
- Directs determination of depreciation rates to apply to capital assets
- Establish Omega's accounting system as suitable for a Phase II SBIR grant as determined by the Defense Contract Auditing Agency (DCAA) or equivalent at National Institute of Health (NIH) or National Science Foundation (NSF).
- Advises management on desirable operational adjustments due to tax code revisions.
- Arranges for audits of company's benefits programs.
- Prepares reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Establishes relations with banks and other financial institutions.
- Other duties as assigned.
EXCELLENCE IN THIS POSITION:
- A high level of technical accounting and financial planning skills, which are demonstrated in accurate forecasts and plans. A demonstrated ability to analyze and clarify complex financial situations, and a demonstrated grasp of the complexities within the organization's current budgetary issues.
- Assess current department staffing and make recommendations.
- Creating and maintaining excellent relationships with the company's banking sources.
- Ensures that all governmental reporting is completed and submitted within allowable time frames.
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective coaching employees.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality of employee and agency information based on a 'business needs to know basis.'
- Ability to report data accurately and timely.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to write and present information to groups well.
- Has established an open and trusting work environment.
- Acts in accordance with all company policies.
- Leadership ability to hold staff accountable to company policies and procedures.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration. At least 10 years related experience as a Controller or Director of Finance.
The above duties or working procedures describe the chief functions of the job. They are not considered a detailed description of every duty of the job. The job description is intended to be dynamic in nature, subject to addition or deletion as required by organizational changes and customer needs.
Job Type: Full-time
- Accounting: 10 years (Required)
- Brattleboro, VT (Preferred)