Audit Officer II - Finance/Compliance, Miami, Florida
The Audit Officer II, Finance/Compliance is primarily responsible for performing internal audits at Amerant Bank and its subsidiaries, in order to ensure compliance with Bank policies and procedures, as well as industry and regulatory guidelines. Will also be responsible for providing support in the testing of Internal Controls Financial Reporting (ICFR) (SOX), as well as for assistance to the External Auditors in performing various testing areas. Will serve as the Auditor-In-Charge for low risk audits as assigned by the Audit Manager, and will also responsible for preparing various reports for the Chief Audit Officer to present at Audit Committees.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Perform internal audits for AMTB and its subsidiaries, as assigned by the Audit Manager for Finance, ICFR, external auditors & Compliance.
- Determine if the internal controls in place effectively mitigate the organization's risk exposure to losses.
- Ascertain that the Bank's assets are properly safeguarded and controlled.
- Evaluate compliance with applicable laws and Federal and State regulations, as well as internal policies and procedures.
- Evaluate the reliability and integrity of financial information and reporting.
- Make recommendations for corrective action.
- Assess the level of risks and controls of the various functions to be audited.
- Reference work papers to support audit scope and objectives. Perform audit tests and procedures. Propose Audit Ratings and Annual Risk Assessments.
- Participate in meetings with auditees in a professional manner.
- Write draft reports based on the results of the audit, and discuss audit reports with auditee.
- Ensure preventive measures are carried out to fully comply with current rules, regulations and internal policies relating to risks pertaining to BSA, USA PATRIOT Act, OFAC and other AML related issues.
- Identify, evaluate, monitor and make any recommendation deemed necessary in order to assess, reduce, eliminate or control any current or prospective risks to earnings or capital arising from violations of, or nonconformance with, laws, rules, regulations, prescribed practices, internal policies and procedures or ethical standards.
- Prepare Management and Production reports for the Chief Audit Officer, following the guidelines established by the Board Audit Committee.
- Provide assistance to the external auditors in loan input validation, non-interest expense and income, investments (sales, purchases, maturities, confirmations and pay downs),FHLB advances, open and closed accounts, deferred fees, dormant accounts premises and equipment,(additions and deletions), reconciling cash and cash and due from confirmations, loan and deposit confirmations and loans, performing alternate procedures in lieu of confirmations for the Bank and the subsidiaries and any other area assigned by the external auditors.
- Participate in the testing process of Internal Controls on Financial Reporting (SOX) walkthroughs and testing of internal controls over the bank's financial reporting process of controls of Entity Level Controls and Transaction Level Controls.
- Assist in Regulatory audits of bank-wide compliance with applicable law or regulation which include BSA/AML/OFAC, apply the compliance rating methodology to determine each specific function's rating; compute the overall Unit's proposed Audit Rating and submit to Audit Manager for evaluation
- Act as Auditor-in-Charge of low risk audits. In this capacity, responsibilities include supervision of the work of other Auditors who are part of the audit team.
- Review work-papers prepared, prepare draft reports and follow-up on audit issues.
Functional Skills & Knowledge Requirements:
Must be a team player, have the ability to work under pressure, have a professional image and be able to resolve problems and conflicts. Must be able to prioritize work and effectively manage time and have the ability to manage change. Possession of professional skills such as report writing, statistics, effective presentation skills, budgeting hours, conducting effective meetings and completing research are required. Must possess decision making skills, have the ability to identify and assess risks, and provide recommendations for improvement.
Minimum Education and/or Certifications Requirements:
Bachelor's degree in Business, Accounting or Finance. CIA, CPA, MBA, or other related certifications or degrees, are preferred.
Minimum Work Experience Requirements:
Minimum three years' experience auditing banking operations. Must possess knowledge of accounting as well as general knowledge of IT and State and Federal Banking Regulations.
Technical and/or Other Essential Knowledge:
Work paper organization and referencing; experience in writing clear and concise audit reports. Proven ability to perform risk analysis of operations and make recommendations for improvement. PC literate.
Stressors: Limited time budgets to perform assignments and deadlines, negative behavior and/or uncooperative response from auditees; resistance to audit findings and recommendations, system failures and delays; limitations of available workspace at external locations.