Assistant General Counsel - Vice President
New York, NY
Apple Bank is seeking a VP, Assistant General Counsel that specializes in providing legal advice and strategic expertise to multiple business lines in our organization including but not limited to the following departments: Information Technology, Information Security, Vendor Management, Accounting/Finance, and Legal Process. The Assistant General Counsel acts a corporate generalist, with responsibilities including drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contractual agreements. The successful candidate has the ability to change priorities in response to business needs, carry out major assignments, handle business operational timelines, identify areas of need, generate action plans, and must be comfortable making recommendations and proposals to senior management to effect change.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide comprehensive legal counseling regarding a broad spectrum of matters to a subset of Bank business units including but not limited to, Information Technology, Information Security, Vendor Management, Accounting/Finance, and Legal Process.
- Advise internal business clients on contract interpretation, negotiation and documentation.
- Draft, review, negotiate, and manage wide range of legal agreements while minimizing business risk.
- Review and negotiate vendor contracts.
- Review and approve assigned business unit policies and procedures.
- Identify potential legal issues and propose solutions to mitigate risk.
- Collaborate with Privacy Office, Information Security and Vendor Management regarding vendor contracts.
- Conduct in-depth legal research and factual analysis on an as needed basis.
- Work with other members of the Legal team, to ensure a consistent approach to legal issues.
- Assist with the interpretation and implementation of Bank-wide policies.
- Perform such other duties as may be required to assist the FVP, Head of Privacy and IT/Vendor Management - Legal, and/or EVP, General Counsel.
Skills, Education and Experience
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree required.
- Active license to practice law in New York State.
- 4-6 years of practical experience including extensive contract drafting and negotiation experience.
- Demonstrated negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Robust knowledge of banking regulations and competency concerning information technology and the digital banking space.
- Experience identifying risks and key issues and providing practical legal advice to business clients.
- Strong knowledge of the New York Civil Practice Law and Rules to contribute to oversight of department handling subpoenas and levies.
- Excellent analytical skills, with the ability to think creatively and identify innovative solutions as well as the ability to clearly articulate complex concepts and ideas.
- Must have superior interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to provide clear, correct and concise written and oral advice in a business context.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to new or unfamiliar challenges or areas of responsibility.
- Ability to form strong working relationships with internal clients while maintaining Bank adherence to proper legal standards.
Apple Bank offers Medical/Dental,Vision, 401k and Tuition Reimbursement to full time employees.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, military and/or veteran status, or any other Federal or State legally-protected classes.