Assistant General Counsel - Assistant Vice President
New York, NY
Apple Bank is seeking an AVP, Assistant General Counsel to specialize in providing legal advice to multiple business lines of our organization including but not limited to the following departments: Information Technology, Information Security, Vendor Management, and Accounting/Finance. The Assistant General Counsel acts as a corporate generalist, with responsibilities that include the reviewing and negotiating of contractual agreements. The successful candidate has the ability to change priorities according to business needs, handle business operational timelines, identify areas of need, generate action plans, and must be comfortable making recommendations that effect change.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide day-to-day support to a subset of Bank business units including but not limited to, Information Technology, Information Security, Vendor Management, and Accounting/Finance.
- Advise internal business clients on contract interpretation, negotiation and documentation.
- Draft, review, negotiate, and manage wide range of legal agreements while minimizing business risk.
- Review and negotiate vendor contracts.
- Review and approve assigned business unit policies and procedures.
- Identify potential legal issues and propose solutions to mitigate risk.
- Collaborate with Privacy Office, Information Security and Vendor Management regarding vendor contracts.
- Conduct in-depth legal research and factual analysis on an as needed basis.
- Work with other members of Legal team, to ensure a consistent approach to legal issues.
- Assist with the interpretation and implementation of Bank-wide policies.
- Perform such other duties as may be required to assist the FVP, Head of Privacy and IT/Vendor Management - Legal, and/or EVP, General Counsel.
Skills, Education and Experience
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree required.
- Active license to practice law in New York State.
- 3-5 years of practical experience including extensive contract drafting and negotiation experience.
- Demonstrated negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Robust knowledge of banking regulations and competency concerning information technology and the digital banking space.
- Basic privacy/data protection awareness and vendor risk management familiarity.
- Excellent analytical skills, with the ability to think creatively and identify innovative solutions as well as the ability to clearly articulate complex concepts and ideas.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to provide clear, correct and concise written and oral advice in a business context.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to new or unfamiliar challenges or areas of responsibility.
- Ability to form strong working relationships with internal clients while maintaining Bank adherence to proper legal standards.
Apple Bank offers Medical/Dental,Vision, 401k and Tuition Reimbursement to full time employees.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, military and/or veteran status, or any other Federal or State legally-protected classes.