About the Company
- Our client is recognized as one of the oldest and longstanding nonprofits in the United States.
- Firm focuses on various education/community centric programs.
- They describe themselves as a fun group in accounting and finance and would like to onboard someone who shares their same mindset!
- Competitive salary, great benefits including medical for family with as low as $10 dollars a pay period, generous PTO and a pension plan that they contribute into.
- Some employee reviews include things such as:
'Opportunity to experience new things and share knowledge with others'
'Great environment to grow in your career and help the community at the same time.'
'Great place to work, I really feel respected by my supervisors'
Responsibilities of the Assistant Controller:
- Supervising a staff of five that includes accountants and accounts payable, reviewing their work such as journal entries, bank and accountant reconciliations and analysis
- Supervise the preparation of monthly investment schedules including the review of related journal entries.
- Oversee preparation of annual investment summaries detailing investment purchases, sales, interest, dividends, realized and unrealized gains.
- Ensure the completeness and accuracy of monthly general ledger reconciliations, including bank reconciliation, and analyses
- Prepare quarterly financial statements and other reports for the Finance and Audit Committees.
- Coordinate the preparation of reports to various funding agencies (NYC and NYS).
Qualifications of the Assistant Controller:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance; CPA/MBA is a plus
- CPA certification preferred.
- 5+ years of progressive accounting experience with a nonprofit organization
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with an ERP system such as MIP, FundEZ, Blackbaud, Lawson or others a plus; strong Excel skills