Application System Engineer (Charlotte, NC)
Summary: One of the nation’s largest financial companies is looking to add a Senior Application System Engineer to their team. The Systems Engineer is responsible for understanding of microservice architectures, with emphasis on data intensive applications, and in-depth understanding of authentication and entitlements for applications on sensitive data.
Opportunity: Direct Hire
- Act in the highest-level technical role as an individual contributor and team lead for complex computer applications and/or application initiatives.
- Develop foundational infrastructure for data analysis and machine learning pipelines.
- Partnering with Validation and development teams to streamline the Model development and validation processes.
- Support the business on Validation efforts and troubleshoot and provide guidance to validators on best practices and optimization techniques.
- Partner with the LOB Validation/development teams to deliver technology solutions to address complex business requirements.
- Work with business and technical leaders, sponsors, and analysts on problem understanding, requirements and architecture discovery, analyze complex business requirements, data analysis and modeling, design and write functional and technical specifications.
- Troubleshooting and performance tuning.
- Streamline build and release activities.
- 10+ years of application development and implementation experience
- 10+ years of experience delivering complex enterprise wide information technology solutions
- 5+ years of experience with Big Data or Hadoop tools such as Spark, Hive, Kafka and Map
- 5+ years of development experience with languages such as Python, Java, Scala, or R
- Desired Qualifications
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge and understanding of analytical methods used in: statistical analysis, modeling, and reporting
- Advanced problem solving and technical troubleshooting capabilities
- Knowledge and understanding of building and executing a technical roadmap
- Ability to work effectively in virtual environment where key team members and partners are in various time zones and locations
- Knowledge and understanding of project management methodologies: used in waterfall or Agile development projects
- 5+ years of experience in technologies like Python, R, Scala, ML/AI tools like Data robot, Domino Data, IBM Watson ML, Jupyter notebook
- 3+ years of experience with HortonWorks or MapR Hadoop, Hive, Ranger, Knox
- 2+ years of experience with GPU Computing (CUDA), IBM Spectrum Conductor for Spark or Job scheduling and resource management tools.
- In depth knowledge of HDFS, Hive, and Spark in hybrid CPU/GPU environments, with PySpark, SparkR/Sparklyr, and H2O Sparking Water. BigDL and Intel’s Analytics Zoo a plus. IBM Spectrum Conductor for Spark (Spark on EGO) a big plus
- Knowledge of common frameworks — Airflow, MLFlow, Kubeflow a plus
- Excellent understanding of microservice architectures, with emphasis on data intensive applications, and in-depth understanding of authentication and entitlements for applications on sensitive data. gRPC, Kafka, Redis a plus
- Knowledge of traditional HPC. MPI and workload managers. Slurm, LSF, Symphony a plus
- Exceptional knowledge of Unix administration and packaging of scientific applications with conda
- 2+ years of DevOps experience (Git, Jenkins, Artifactory, Nexus, Puppet)