CFS is partnering with an outstanding organiztion in Grand Rapids focused on growth, developemnt, commitment to partners, and 'people development'.
The company has a collaborative leadership and finance team and the Accounting Associate is expected to be a key business contributor, working directly with the Finance Manager and Corporate Controller across all functional areas and with external stakeholders and vendors, including the private equity sponsor, insurance agency partner personnel (local controllers and agency leaders), and corporate team members.
The Accounting Associate will have day-to-day 'hands on' responsibility for developing and maintaining financial and operational activities and reporting, working in regular, strong partnership with the Finance Manager and Corporate Controller. The Accounting Associate will team up with the Finance Manager to continue to implement and document sound financial controls and processes and establish effective financial reporting for our stakeholders. The position will also play a role in acquisition and post-closing processes.
This role provides a competitive compensation and benefit package, including medical insurance and a 401(k) match of up to 6% of salary.
Key Finance Department Responsibility Areas
- Corporate Accounting & Reporting: Maintaining corporate financial activity, including AP processing and expense reporting to Finance Manager. Maintaining corporate monthly financials including journal entries and variance analysis to be reviewed by Finance Manager
- Partner with management to obtain and import financial results, work with Finance Manager to improve financial acumen, and continue to build strong relationships with key financial individuals.
- Cash Management/Banking: Daily banking and cash reconciliation
- Financial Planning & Analysis: Regular, appropriate analysis and periodic forecasting of financial & operation results, initiatives, and metrics, annual budget processes and objective setting, and other ad hoc financial analysis to support the business
- Audit and Tax Compliance and Preparation: Maintaining reconciliations and workpapers and preparing documentation and support for the review by financial auditors and tax professionals.
- Mergers & Acquisitions Activity: Working with Corporate Controller in preparing pre-acquisition financials to import into financial reporting system and helping to create closing balance sheets.
- Compliance and Internal Controls: Work with Corporate Controller and Finance Manager ensuring compliance and optimization of accounting structures. Also assisting in the documentation and implementation of organization wide control processes
- Team-first orientation, demonstrated respect for all individuals, high integrity, and mature character
- Beyond technical skills, a demonstrated passion for the business and as a big-picture thinker who takes initiative, enjoys variety, and likes to find a better way as a valued and equal participant in the organization
- 2- 3 years of successful experience, including technical areas such as:
- executing monthly financial close process, including financial data importation, preparing journal entries, and analyzing Actual vs. Budget and PY variances
- preparing ongoing monthly/quarterly financial reports for company stakeholders
- experience in cash and payment processing functions
- participated in annual forecasting and budgeting
- working as a business partner across all functions of an organization
- CPA license preferred but not required
- Experience in public accounting or working directly with financial auditors is preferred, but not required
- Experience in an insurance agency or brokerage firm is preferred, but not required
- Strong knowledge of GAAP, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting processes
- High proficiency in financial analysis and concepts to prepare forecasts, cash flows and perform analyses
- High proficiency with Excel; higher-end modelling experience desired but not required
- Familiarity and hands-on experience with General Ledger and reporting systems
Key Personal Attributes:
- Strong Leadership: A proactive and passionate advocate for the business.
- Exceptional technical skills tailored to the business.
- Sense of Urgency: 'All hands-on deck'.
- A proactive partner with leadership, management team, and agency partners
- Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well.
- Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Creates a sense of team spirit and helps to create a positive work environment.
- Treats people with respect, keeps commitments; works with integrity and ethically. Upholds organizational core values. Follows through on commitments.
- Strong work-ethic, detail-driven and a commitment to doing whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Demonstrates exceptional follow through.