We are currently seeking an Accountant with at least 2 years experience to work in the Hartford Area for a large well recognized organization to report directly to the VP.
The candidate will support accounting and budgeting functions, including cash application, accounts payable, accounts receivables, capital expenditures, expense analysis, forecasting, account reconciliations.
- Assist in entering donor deposits and vendor invoices in accounting system (Quickbooks).
- Complete monthly bank reconciliations and quarterly payroll reconciliations.
- Assist in month-end and year-end close activities - including preparation of journal entries, account analysis, and supporting schedules.
- Assist in grant/program revenue and expense tracking; assist in preparing budgets for grant applications and grant billing.
- Assist in the preparation of the agency's annual operating, capital, and program budgets.
- Troubleshoots and problem-solves when bookkeeping or accounting errors occur.
- Supports the annual audit, and 990 preparation
- Back up for department's bi-weekly payroll duties
- Other duties and special projects as assigned by the VP of Finance
- Ability to enforce and update internal controls and administrative policies and procedures.
- Interact with staff in a professional manner and to respond to their requests efficiently and effectively, so as to ease and improve communications regarding finances.
- Knowledge of GAAP and non-profit principles, standards and practices is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of federal and state government cost standards is preferred.
- Attention to detail is essential.
- Ability to both analyze financial data and develop solutions to the problems encountered along with solid written and verbal communication skills is required.
- Knowledge of QuickBooks accounting software is desired.
- Advanced computer skills in a Microsoft Windows work environment.
- BS/BA degree in Accounting is preferred. Experience in Finance and/or Business Administration and two to five years of experience in the accounting field.
- Ability to work in a busy environment, under pressure without compromising accuracy, attention to detail and courtesy to clients and staff.
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to respond appropriately to changing situations
- Must have excellent customer service skills and be committed to providing the highest level of customer satisfaction to both internal and external customers
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Excellent communication and listening skills,
- Ability to read and analyze information
- Ability to research and gather information
- Ability to organize large amounts of data/information into a fashion that all levels of staff can understand.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively